ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Council email court bid bounces back

Council email court bid bounces back

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

AN INTERVENTION order application to shield a Casey councillor from a resident’s emails has been rejected by Dandenong Magistrates’ Court.
Cr Sam Aziz had complained to police about emails sent by Casey resident Nigel Bryan last year, claiming that Mr Bryan had threatened the councillor would “get the arrow”.
However Mr Bryan said: “I’m 74 years old and I’m not that fit.
“I don’t think I’m that much of a threat.
“The phrase ‘get the arrow’ is just an expression which I’ve used many times. It’s a directional arrow but (Cr Aziz) took if as if I’d shoot him.”
Mr Bryan was arrested by police over the matter on 29 November, and subsequently charged with stalking by email.
That charge was dropped by police last week.
On Tuesday 9 June, the police’s intervention order application to ban Mr Bryan from emailing Cr Aziz for the next 12 months was unsuccessful.
The court heard that Mr Bryan had not breached an interim intervention order ban during the past six months and was already banned from emailing Casey councillors and staff under the council’s ‘unreasonable complainants’ policy.
Mr Bryan said he was banned by the council last week for a further six months “on the grounds that I wouldn’t commit myself to saying my emails were defamatory and malicious”.
He said his emails questioned council decisions, and included published Herald Sun articles and a reference to Cr Aziz’s address being around the corner from Zagame’s gaming venue.
“It’s all to do with shutting people up from asking questions,” said Mr Bryan, a member of Casey Residents and Ratepayers Association.
After the hearing, Cr Aziz said the police had judged the case was “serious enough” to apply for an intervention order.
“This (order) wasn’t something I initiated,” Cr Aziz said.
“I’m hoping that Mr Bryan will now realise the seriousness of his conduct and cease this behaviour.
“If it doesn’t moderate or cease the behaviour, I’ll be complaining again.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…

  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades of reunion. The group, made-up…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…