ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Teens to face charges over car-jacking spree

Teens to face charges over car-jacking spree

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

FIVE teenagers have been arrested and two of them charged after a dramatic crime spree through Casey this month which involved several violent car-jackings and a 14-year-old boy being robbed in daylight.
In one of the car jackings, thieves pulled over a 2015 Mercedes-Benz in Hallam and dragged the driver out of his car before making off in the vehicle.
Meanwhile other cars were stolen after thieves broke into residents’ homes while they were sleeping and grabbed their car keys.
The incidents began on Sunday 5 July and involved several car-jackings and thefts from homes during which a 2011 Audi Q5 was stolen from Waterways and a 2015 Mercedes Benz C200, a 2010 Audi A3, a 2015 Subaru Liberty and a Hyundai Santa Fe were also stolen.
During one incident about noon on Tuesday 7 July thieves confronted a victim in the Dandenong Plaza car park and demanded he hand over the keys to his Holden Commodore.
When the victim refused, his attackers smashed his car with a stick and ran off.
Police said that an hour later the same attackers confronted a 14-year-old boy in Dunblane Road, Noble Park, and stole his bag and mobile phone.
That night, about 8pm, the group used the stolen 2011 Audi to force a passing driver in a 2015 Mercedes Benz to pull over on Philip Road in Hallam.
They then converged on the car, dragged the victim out of the driver’s seat and fled in the vehicle.
Police found the stolen Audi a couple of days later dumped in Pepperbush Circuit, Cranbourne.
About 3am on Thursday 9 July police arrested three people at a property in Kirkham Road, Dandenong South, and another two at a property in Cranbourne.
Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Darron Hedge said police had been called to an increasing number of garage burglaries where doors were left open and keys were taken from inside homes and used to steal cars – with those involved believed to be associating with the same groups committing the car-jackings.
He said it was hard to believe the number of garage doors that were being left unlocked.
“Imagine if you were home and woke up to a group of offenders in your house – it would be quite horrific,” Act Sen Sgt Hedge said.
“People need to start having a look at their own security, especially at night.”
Investigations into the incidents are ongoing.
A 16-year-old boy and a 17-year-old boy were remanded, another boy and girl, both 16, were charged and bailed, and another 16-year-old boy was released on summons.

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades of reunion. The group, made-up…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…