ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this year, with the region losing a major economic driver.

Dorna Sports will move the Australian leg of the premier motorcycle series from Victoria in 2027, with the final race at Phillip Island to be held in October this year after 29 years at the circuit.

With the current contract expiring this year, Dorna wished to move the race from Phillip Island to Albert Park, a request the state government rejected on the grounds of retaining the motorcycle Grand Prix on the island.

In response, Dorna has opted to move the race out of Phillip Island to a street circuit in Adelaide.

Bass MP Jordan Crugnale said the state government was “devastated” by the decision and that she will invite the Minister for Major Events, Steve Dimopoulos, to meet with the council and relevant local organisations to discuss future opportunities for Phillip Island.

“We are devastated that the owners of the race wanted to move it from our stunning region and spectacular coastline to a street-based city race,” she said.

“We saw the largest attendance since 2012 just last year, with over 90,000 people. It brings so much to Bass Coast and the wider region and injects $60 million into the local economy, supports small businesses, jobs and tourism, and draws visitors from near and far.

“We wanted it on the Island. We put forward a very convincing proposal, offered additional funding to make it bigger and better, and disappointment is an understatement.”

Opposition leader Jess Wilson said the decision is a significant loss for the region.

“The loss of this event is emblematic of Victoria’s decline under Labor and a huge blow to the local businesses of Phillip Island,” she said.

Bass Coast Shire Mayor Rochelle Halstead told the ABC the move will leave a “very large economic hole” and said the council will seek new opportunities with the state government.

“We are very, very disappointed and are turning to the government to look to an event that will be of the same calibre,” she said.

“It does not need to be in motorsport. It can be in the arts or in music. That is what we will be looking at.”

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades of reunion. The group, made-up…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…