ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Charges dropped

Charges dropped

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

Salesman claimed this was self-defence…

IT JUST doesn’t seem right, said bashed Endeavour Hills 73-year-old grandfather Robert Ikin.
On 15 November police dropped charges against a much younger man who Mr Ikin said repeatedly punched him in the face outside his home and walked away.
The bloodied and bruised Mr Ikin was hospitalised that night of 17 August.
“(The accused) claimed that every time I got up, he felt I was going to attack him,” Mr Ikin said.
“He told police I was hanging on to his clothes, and I was sitting on his laptop (sic).”
“If he calls it self-defence, how come I’ve got all the damage?”
According to Mr Ikin’s statement to police, he had earlier ordered a then-19-year-old electricity salesman to get off his front step and off his property.
The dispute escalated after the man later returned to the nature strip and called out to Mr Ikin.
Mr Ikin walked out and told the man he’d ring the police.
“Why? Do you want to make something of it?” the salesman allegedly said.
Mr Ikin said that he approached the man and was struck twice in the face. He fell and hit the back of his head on the nature strip.
When he got up, he was hit twice more and fell back on his head again, he said.
Mr Ikin walked towards the man’s tablet computer on the ground, saying he was going to find out who the man worked for.
“I think that cost me another hit,” Mr Ikin said.
“He has hit me a couple more times and I’ve gone back down again and I hit my head once again.”
The only known witnesses to the assault were Mr Ikin and the salesman.
Mr Ikin’s wife, Jeanette, who was upstairs watching TV at the time, was thankful that Mr Ikin, who had recently had a heart bypass, didn’t have a heart attack.
“How can a 19-year-old boy think an old man like this can possibly hurt him and feel threatened?”
Mr Ikin isn’t sure if he’ll now receive victims-of-crime compensation that will fund home security measures and his ongoing counselling and physiotherapy.
Treating psychologist Joseph Poznanski said Mr Ikin has since been blighted by chronic post-traumatic stress, insomnia, flashbacks and agitation.
Once a keen morning walker, Mr Ikin now shuns public places and feels unsafe in his home, Dr Poznanski said.
“Justice needs to be achieved in order to feel healed.”
In August, in a wave of publicity, police called for information about the incident and the accused, an electricity door-to-door salesman, who police said was accused of repeatedly punching Mr Ikin in the face outside his home before he fled.
A police officer told media at the time that it was “outrageous” how the incident had escalated.
In a statement on Wednesday 23 November, Victoria Police stated there was insufficient evidence to proceed with the charges.
The youth is believed to have been set to plead not guilty on the grounds of self-defence.
Victims of Crime advocate Noel McNamara said the dropping of the charges was “unbelievable”.
Mr McNamara said it reminded him of men using defensive homicide to mitigate them killing their wives.
“I haven’t heard self-defence being used in this way,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades…

More News

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…