ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Breaking the silence

Breaking the silence

Narre Warren’s Bunjil Place will host a one-night-only performance of Karul Projects’ contemporary look at issues of First Nations’ human rights and modern identity in ‘SILENCE’.

Produced alongside BlakDance, the one-hour performance will be held at Bunjil Place on Wednesday 3 May from 7pm.

Following a sell-out world premiere season in 2020 at Brisbane Festival and last year’s tour of regional Queensland, Karul Projects is bringing SILENCE to regional NSW, Victoria and Adelaide.

BlakDance executive producer Merindah Donnelly said BlakDance was a self-determined First Nations producing house.

“SILENCE is a searing commentary on Australian Nationhood, representing the call for Land Back,” she said.

“It’s fitting the first work we tour is adding to the conversation about recognising our Sovereignty.”

Written by Karul Projects co-founder and director and Minjungbal-Yugambeh, Wiradjuri and Ni-Vanuatu man Thomas ES Kelly, the performance features a cast of seven First Nations artists, including co-founder Taree Sansbury and returning multidisciplinary performing artist Benjin Maza performing on a stage slowly engulfed in dirt.

“Abounding in our struggle for Land Back and Treaty, SILENCE breaks the silence both literally and symbolically using dynamic live percussion from composer Jhindu-Pedro Lawrie whose rich drumbeats drive the dancers in their exploration of past, present, alternate realities and dreamscapes of Country, the milky way and Murun, the emu in the sky,” he said.

Kelly said the foundation of the piece is on the long period of neglect experienced by First Nations people.

SILENCE interprets what a 250 plus year-long denial of meaningful listening to First Nations people has done to the psyche of the people and land,” he said.

“Brown feet kick up sand, earth, dirt, and dust.

“The sand seeps through brown fingers as it always has.

“Always was, always will be.”

Visit www.bunjilplace.com.au/events/silence for more.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…