ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Fence crash tip-off

Fence crash tip-off

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

A HALLAM grandfather whose front fence was left wrecked last week after a car reversed through it may have put the police on the trail of the culprit.
The incident, which occurred last Tuesday, is the second time in three years that a car has crashed through Basil Harrison’s front fence in Appilla Close, a dead-end street that runs off Hinrichsen Drive.
Mr Harrison was out walking his pet shih tzu on Saturday when he passed a car that he said looked similar to the vehicle wrecked his fence.
Mr Harrison then went to the Endeavour Hills Police Station to report the information.
The incident is still being investigated.
“It was raining when the car crashed through the fence, but I still memorised the colour and part of the number plate,” Mr Harrison said.
“I went straight to the cops on Saturday.
“I’m South African – we South Africans don’t waste any time!”
Mr Harrison was sitting on his bed about 2.45pm last Tuesday afternoon, using his computer tablet, when he heard a “big bang”.
He thought it was thunder but when Mr Harrison looked out the window, he saw a car had reversed through his fence while trying to turn.
“My grandkids had just moved from the driveway,” Mr Harrison said.
“They could have been killed.”
Mr Harrison said it was hard to sleep at night because his street was always used as a playground for hoons.
“It’s the worst road in the world,” he said.
The City of Casey Council last year installed a speed hump in Hinrichsen Drive, near Keppel Drive, after a 100-signature petition was presented last year.
But Mr Harrison said more speed humps were desperately needed near the turn-off to his street.
Casey’s transport acting manager Anitha Ajay said the council would investigate the installation of additional traffic calming measures in Hinrichsen Drive following consultation with residents “later this year”.
“Council has previously identified one section of Hinrichsen Drive where design works were undertaken and a speed hump was installed on the northern approach to the intersection of Hinrichsen Drive/Keppel Drive,” Mr Ajay said.
“A report on the LTM Program and review of locations for traffic calming measures was considered by the council at its meeting on 19 August 2014.
“Hinrichsen Drive has been identified as a location which warrants consideration of treatments through the Local Traffic Management (LTM) Program.”
Anyone with any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au.

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades of reunion. The group, made-up…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…