ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Council backs baiting probe

Council backs baiting probe

By BRIDGET SCOTT and CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

Casey Council has vowed to help ensure the “full force of the law” is aimed at perpetrators of greyhound live-baiting.
It has offered its facilities and services to an RSPCA and police investigation and will write to Greyhound Racing Victoria to express its “grave concern” about the practice and request a full report from GRV “as soon as possible”.
The scandal exploded on Monday night last week when the ABC’s Four Corners program aired damning footage of piglets, possums and rabbits being strapped to lures and ripped apart while they are used as live-bait to blood greyhounds.
Ten greyhound trainers implicated in the scandal at Tooradin have had their dogs scratched indefinitely.
The trainers themselves have also been suspended pending the outcome of investigations by Greyhound Racing Victoria and the RSPCA.
Mayor Mick Morland said live baiting was “not tolerated in our city” – which is home to the highest number of registered trainers and greyhounds in Victoria.
“We have offered our services to the RSPCA and police to ensure the full force of the law is realised for anyone involved in this practice.“
The Tooradin Trial Track, which was raided by RSPCA officers, supported by police, on Wednesday last week, has had its registration suspended.
And Racing Minister Martin Pakula told the News that the whole greyhound racing industry may be in jeopardy.
Live-baiting is a criminal offence punishable by a jail term of up to two years and a fine of more than $30,000 under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986.
Those implicated by Four Corners in the scandal include Tooradin Trail Track owner Stuart Mills, well-known Devon Meadows trainer Darren McDonald, fellow Devon Meadows trainer and former GRV official Paul Anderton and Cranbourne Greyhound Racing Club president Neville King, who stood down from his position on Saturday night.
Senior vice-president Greg Carter is the acting president.
The industry’s awards night, which was scheduled for last Friday night, was postponed with Mr McDonald, who is a former trainer of the year, expected to feature prominently.
Cranbourne’s Wednesday night race meet went ahead, although three dogs trained by Paul Anderton were scratched.
The GRV declined to officially name all 10 suspended trainers for legal reasons.
Cranbourne Greyhound Club chief executive officer Tony Mitchell declined to comment to the News and directed all questions to the GRV.
However the club did issued a statement on its website: “Our club does not condone or support actions of individuals involved in any form of animal cruelty, as highlighted in the Four Corners program and that’s our firm stance.“
GRV chairman Peter Caillard expressed disgust at the graphic footage of the live baiting.
“I watched and was sickened.
“The use of live bait in the training of greyhounds is abhorrent and has no place in our sport.
“Any person engaged in live baiting can expect to be disqualified and prosecuted.
“To the best of our knowledge, this disgusting and illegal behaviour is isolated in Victoria to the privately owned training facility at Tooradin.“
On Tuesday Racing Minister Martin Pakula said: “Today is not the day for me to be expressing full confidence in GRV.”
“I’ve been pleased with the way they’ve responded since they have been made aware of the allegations on Friday.
“I think it’s fair to say – and they acknowledge – there’s questions to be answered as to why it wasn’t picked up sooner.”
He said the future of the industry – which comprises about 3000 full-time equivalent jobs and was worth at least $100 million – was being put in “great jeopardy”.
He also said the government and GRV would pitch in $3 million each to boost investigatory resources against live-baiting.
The News attempted to contact all the trainers implicated in the scandal.
Stewart Mills said “no charges have been laid yet“ and that he did not wish to comment further.
Tony Mitchell said Mr King would not comment to the media.
Darren McDonald did not return calls from the News.
The News also called but was unable to reach Paul Anderton.
Racing Integrity Commissioner Sal Perna said those responsible for live baiting could face a 10 year ban from the sport.

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades of reunion. The group, made-up…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…