ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Council email court bid bounces back

Council email court bid bounces back

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

AN INTERVENTION order application to shield a Casey councillor from a resident’s emails has been rejected by Dandenong Magistrates’ Court.
Cr Sam Aziz had complained to police about emails sent by Casey resident Nigel Bryan last year, claiming that Mr Bryan had threatened the councillor would “get the arrow”.
However Mr Bryan said: “I’m 74 years old and I’m not that fit.
“I don’t think I’m that much of a threat.
“The phrase ‘get the arrow’ is just an expression which I’ve used many times. It’s a directional arrow but (Cr Aziz) took if as if I’d shoot him.”
Mr Bryan was arrested by police over the matter on 29 November, and subsequently charged with stalking by email.
That charge was dropped by police last week.
On Tuesday 9 June, the police’s intervention order application to ban Mr Bryan from emailing Cr Aziz for the next 12 months was unsuccessful.
The court heard that Mr Bryan had not breached an interim intervention order ban during the past six months and was already banned from emailing Casey councillors and staff under the council’s ‘unreasonable complainants’ policy.
Mr Bryan said he was banned by the council last week for a further six months “on the grounds that I wouldn’t commit myself to saying my emails were defamatory and malicious”.
He said his emails questioned council decisions, and included published Herald Sun articles and a reference to Cr Aziz’s address being around the corner from Zagame’s gaming venue.
“It’s all to do with shutting people up from asking questions,” said Mr Bryan, a member of Casey Residents and Ratepayers Association.
After the hearing, Cr Aziz said the police had judged the case was “serious enough” to apply for an intervention order.
“This (order) wasn’t something I initiated,” Cr Aziz said.
“I’m hoping that Mr Bryan will now realise the seriousness of his conduct and cease this behaviour.
“If it doesn’t moderate or cease the behaviour, I’ll be complaining again.”

Digital Editions


  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades…

More News

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…