CHILDREN can be introduced to the magic of opera through Opera Australia’s production of one of the best-loved Brothers Grimm tales Hansel and Gretel, which is returning to Victoria by popular demand.
Opera Australia has put together a fully staged version of Humperdinck’s opera to introduce children to opera which tells the bewitching tale of Hansel and Gretel on their journey of hardship, forgiveness and self-discovery. Featuring professional singers, colourful costumes and an enchanting set.
– Drum Theatre, corner of Lonsdale and Walker streets, Dandenong, 10.30am to 1.30pm including a 10 minute question and answer session on Wednesday 1 July. The 10.30am performance includes Auslan shadow interpreting for deaf and hard of hearing audience members. Cost for adults is $20, child/concession $15, groups of four or more $15 per person, Drum Theatre friend, $15.
Digital camera classes
LEARN how to get the best out of a digital camera with digital SLR classes.
– Hallam Community Learning Centre, 56 Kays Avenue, Hallam, on Monday and Wednesday mornings from 9.45am to 11.45am. Phone 9703 1688 for more details.
Girls’ night out
DRESS to impress to the theme of Sex and the City for a night out with the girls.
Gift bags, male waiters, tarot readings, make-up and beauty products and a three-course sit down dinner with wine and champagne on arrival are all planned for the night.
A percentage of the tickets sold will go to the National Breast Cancer Foundation with the chance to win a $2000 Flight Centre voucher and seven nights at Villa Jasa in Bali for eight people.
Tickets cost $50.
– Cranbourne Greyhound Racing Club, Friday 10 July 6.30pm with a band starting at 9.30pm. Bookings essential on 5996 2393 by Friday 19 June.
Watch the footy with Chris Tarrant
Former Collingwood and Freemantle football player Chris Tarrant is making a special appearance at The Sporting Globe in Westfield Fountain Gate.
Footy fans can enjoy Collingwood v Hawthorn live on the big screen alongside the ex-forward and grab a photo and autograph with the ex-forward.
– Westfield Fountain Gate, Sporting Globe Overland Drive, Narre Warren. Friday 3 July 7pm to 8pm.
JOIN the Dandenong Evening VIEW Club who support The Smith Family and be a part of its Learning for Life program.
– Dandenong RSL, 44-50 Clow Street, Dandenong, on Tuesday 7 July at 7pm. New members welcome. For details contact Brigitte on 9795 1222.
After school activities
ART classes for kids offer a chance for children to explore their inner world of thoughts and feelings through art making in a fun class.
Painting, pastels on paper, creative writing, collage, sculpture, movement and music are all a part of the program.
– Doveton Neighbourhood Learning Centre, 34 Oak Avenue. Mondays during school term, 4pm to 5.30pm. Cost $7.50 per session or $70 for 10 sessions. Bookings are essential. For more information call Geraldine on 9791 1449.
RELAX and meditate to help reach goals.
The process to reach that goal is many and varied including progressive muscular relaxation and guided imaging, positive and self-empowering messages and self hypnoses.
The process is slow, repetitive and enjoyable with participants setting their own pace and goals.
– Doveton Neighbourhood Learning Centre, 34 Oak Avenue. Thursdays 9.30am to 10.30am or 11am to noon. Cost $2 per session.
Relay for Life
THE City of Greater Dandenong’s 2015 Relay for Life is already in planning and the team is hoping to get new members to raise money for the Cancer Council.
– Saturday 10 October, 3pm start to Sunday 11 October 9am finish. Ross Reserve Athletics Track, Memorial Drive, Noble Park.
Stitching our stories
ASYLUM seekers and refugees attending Wellsprings for Women used printed patterns, textures and text to create a book that reflects on their past and helps them take charge of their story, culture and future education.
– Heritage Hill Museum and Historic Gardens, 66 McCrae Street, Dandenong. 1 to 29 May, 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday and noon to 4pm on the first Sunday of the month. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9793 4511 for more information.
KEYSBOROUGH Learning Centre will host Rainbows for the Children of Australia’s after school program to help kids deal with life traumas such as death and divorce.
– Keysborough Learning Centre, 402 Corrigan Road, Keysborough. Tuesdays during terms two and four, 4.30pm to 5.30pm. Bookings are essential. Register interest on 9798 7005, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
JOIN in the social mixed styles of ballroom dancing at the Burden Park Bowling Club.
There’s ballroom dancing every Monday from 6.30pm to 10pm, and every fifth Saturday there’s dancing from 1pm to 5pm and ballroom from 8pm to 11pm.
BYO supper, drinks and glasses.
– Burden Park Bowling Club, corner Heatherton and Springvale roads, Springvale South. Mondays are $5 per person and Saturdays are $8 per person. Phone June on 9798 1784 or Ray on 9547 1907 for more information.
Library Toddler Time
THESE free sessions are designed to help children aged two to three to develop their imagination and vocabulary and find a love for books and reading.
Toddler Time also helps carers to learn songs, finger plays and nursery rhymes to enjoy at home.
– Springvale Library, 411 Springvale Road, Springvale, and Dandenong Library, 225 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong, on Mondays at 10.30am. Bookings are not required. The sessions don’t run on school or public holidays. Phone 1300 630 920 for more information.
Healthy and deadly
YOUNG people can learn about looking after themselves and their mob, meet new people, learn skills, connect with their culture and more at this Koorie program. It’s for ages 14 to 21 and food is provided.
– YStop Dandenong, 39a Clow Street, opposite Dandenong Market. Tuesdays, 4pm to 6.30pm. Phone Youth Services on 9793 2155 for more information.
The Social Knitwork
KNITTERS and those who want to learn the craft can join the Social Knitwork each Wednesday morning. Make new friends while developing skills and sharing patterns and stories.
– Dandenong Library, level two, 225 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong. Wednesdays, 10.30am to noon. No bookings required.