ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Man found with $100,000 stolen property

Man found with $100,000 stolen property

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

A MAN accused of a spate of car thefts and burglaries as well as co-harbouring about $100,000 of purported stolen property has made a failed bail application in Dandenong Magistrates’ Court.
Jeremy Leigh Jose, 35, had spent nearly two months in custody when he fronted the court on 9 May.
Police told the court that during Jose’s “prolific” alleged thefts this year he had been bailed to a Hallam address and under a community corrections order.
But when arrested in early March he was found to be living in Traralgon with a co-accused and about $100,000 of suspected stolen property.
He’d stopped reporting as part of his bail since mid-February, the court was told.
Jose and a co-accused allegedly drove two stolen Hyundai vans into a Traralgon car wash on 9 March, sprayed blue paint over CCTV cameras, and broke four padlocks to coin machines, according to a police summary tendered to the court.
Police allege Jose – also known as Jeremy Osler on some police briefs – stole the vans from businesses in Hallam and Dandenong South in December and February.
In little over a month in February and March there were a further 14 alleged thefts, including a Great Wall ute from Berwick on 31 January – 1 February.
On 16 February, the ute was sighted as Jose allegedly stole $4500 from a car wash’s locked cabinet.
Other alleged crimes included a home burglary netting $3100 of bathroom, kitchen fittings and a dishwasher, and the theft of a TV and generator from a caravan.
In arguing for bail, defence lawyer John Buxton said Jose was contesting some of the matters and had been found suitable for a CREDIT bail program with drug and alcohol counselling.
Mr Buxton proposed a strict curfew and reporting regime for Jose, who would live in Warragul.
Jose required further Crohn’s Disease treatment, following the surgical removal of a large section of his blocked bowel last year, the lawyer said.
Magistrate Jack Vandersteen said Jose was facing years in jail if convicted, noting a lack of compliance with court orders and a number of outstanding charges on top of the latest offences.
“He says he’s got to look after a child but he’s all over the state of Victoria – as far as Sale – at different times of the day… in stolen vehicles, in burglaries and attempted burglaries.”
Mr Vandersteen, in rejecting bail, deemed Jose was an unacceptable risk of re-offending.
“The offences are just too many.”
Jose was remanded to appear at La Trobe Magistrates’ Court on 1 June then to Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 6 June.

Digital Editions


  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He…

More News

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…