ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Catholic school students declined $400 bonus

Catholic school students declined $400 bonus

Diocese of Sale Catholic Education Limited (DOSCEL) has hit out at the State Government’s 2024-25 budget and the $400 School Savings Bonus for excluding the majority of students across its 45 Catholic schools.

As part of the budget announcement on Tuesday 7 May, the School Savings Bonus program would provide $400 in support for every child at government schools, and eligible concession card holders at non-government schools.

DOSCEL director Paul Velten said it was disappointing 82 per cent of 16,663 students across the diocese would miss out on the much-needed support, while all government school families would benefit from the program.

“Our Catholic school families are feeling cost-of-living pressures too, yet only those who are healthcare card holders (around 18 per cent) are eligible for the program,” he said.

“Like government schools, the vast majority of our Catholic school families are in the low and middle-income brackets.

“They are taxpayers too, yet have been excluded from this program.”

Mr Velten said the payment should not be based on which school a student attends.

“We want to work with government to ensure students across all sectors receive the support they need to get the best education possible, but this policy is blatantly unfair,” he said.

“We believe the payment should apply to all students or should be means-tested for all students.

“Our sector will be seeking to meet with the government as a matter of urgency, to better understand why they are treating families in Catholic schools like second-class citizens.”

The Diocese of Sale covered 38 Catholic primary schools and seven Catholic secondary colleges and covers a wide geographic are extending from Melbourne’s outer South East suburbs of Narre Warren and Cranbourne, to Cowes at Phillip Island, and right throughout Gippsland to Orbost in the east.

Digital Editions


  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He…

More News

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…