ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » From cheers to ‘disappointment’: Stud Rd crossing let-down

From cheers to ‘disappointment’: Stud Rd crossing let-down

The details behind the State Government’s announced Stud Road safety improvements have “disappointed” Greater Dandenong Council mayor, Lana Formoso.

At a 13 May council meeting, Cr Formoso voiced her discontent after finding the much-needed $16.5 million funding for the traffic-light-controlled pedestrian crossing at Stud Road, Dandenong North was in fact shared across several metro roads projects.

Also, the funds will be spread across a three-year timeline, falling short on the community’s sense of urgency to fix the six-lane blackspot, according to the mayor.

The funding was announced at the State Budget last week on Tuesday 7 May, initially embraced by a joyful mayor.

“This is a first time we had a commitment to the funding and delivering of the project from the state government, so this is a huge step forward,” Cr Formoso said on 13 May.

“I was pleased the Minister for Roads, and our local Greater Dandenong MP Gabrielle Williams visited us to discuss the matter.

“They heeded the calls from our community, but the State Government’s sense of urgency is sadly still missing.

“We’re disappointed that the funding is phased over three years. We also note the funding commitment is across three metropolitan road projects and seems to fall well short of the amount required.

“We understand that the funding in Year One is to finalise the design, our officers are most willing to work with the department to finalise the project and we’re very close to having it shovel-ready ourselves.”

The funding will help secure and improved signalisation and add a pedestrian crossing at the notorious intersection of Stud and McFees roads.

The mayor reinstated her strong stance on the major safety issue saying she will personally advocate “very strongly to see” the project delivered by 2024-25 “as a matter of urgency” and “in hope that future tragedies may be averted.”

As reported previously by Star Journal, Ms Formoso has spent more than a decade advocating for signalised pedestrian crossing at the notorious Stud Rd where residents including children dash to the other side to access bus stop into Central Dandenong, Dandenong Basketball stadium, playground, and floodplains parkland.

“It is harrowing to watch people with prams, small children, mobility scooters and cyclists trying to cross along the 800m stretch of road with no traffic lights or pedestrian facilities,” Ms Formoso said.

The Dandenong community and beyond were devastated at the shocking death of a two-year-old on the same road, in an attempt to cross the road with his father.

A SES volunteer, Ms Formoso was one of the first to be at the scene, saw the grief of the family first-hand and was left traumatised by what she had experienced.

In April, the 80km/h Stud Road speed limit was reduced by the State Government to 60km/h as an interim step.

In 2018, VicRoads had pledged to install pedestrian lights and review the speed limit after a pedestrian in her 50s was fatally struck while crossing to a nearby bus stop.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…