ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Proposed cuts to impact patients: VHA

Proposed cuts to impact patients: VHA

Monash Health could be forced to make proposed cuts of up to $200 million as part of budget savings imposed by the State Government.

The figure was last week reported by The Age, while documenting a leaked recording of uneasy Victorian hospital executives discussing possible bed closures, elective surgery cuts, cancelling breast screening and special-care cots.

Victorian Healthcare Association says health services across the state are being expected to break-even by 30 June 2025 on top of “significant” funding cuts.

It stated that health services had no choice but to propose frontline staff redundancies, bed closures and elective surgery cuts.

“Doing more with less is not an option, particularly as many services have already made cuts to non-clinical staff and services,” VMA chief executive Leigh Clarke said.

“This budget squeeze leaves no more room to move.”

Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas was recently reported to say the savings could be met by reducing travel, executive wages and staff in non-clinical areas such as communications and marketing.

“We are working to make sure that the money – the record money – that we’ve invested in health is being used and prioritised towards the delivery of patient care,” she reportedly told The Age.

Ms Clarke said the measures “go way beyond any perceived duplication or wastage”.

“The consequences … will mean redundancies of frontline staff, the closure of hospital beds, and longer waiting lists for urgent care and planned surgery,’ she said.

“‘We’re calling on the Department of Health to take a hard look at the budgets of services when it receives these submitted budget action plans and really consider the needs of local communities, including the fact that we have an ageing and growing population and changing patient needs.”

Opposition health spokesperson Georgie Crozier said “Victoria’s health services need to be supported, not being bought to their knees because of Labor’s savage funding cuts”.

“Labor cannot manage money, cannot manage our health system and it is Victorians who are paying the price.”

According to Monash Health’s 2022-’23 annual report, it sourced revenue of $3.2 billion and recorded a $173 million surplus.

A Monash Health spokesperson said its annual budget was “currently being developed in close consultation with the Department of Health to deliver the care our community needs”.

The State Government was contacted for comment.

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades of reunion. The group, made-up…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…