ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Council backflip on Australia Day lock-out

Council backflip on Australia Day lock-out

Greater Dandenong Council has backed down from an invite-only Australia Day Awards ceremony, after community uproar in the past week.

The ceremony at Springvale City Hall on 26 January had been described in a December council newsletter as a “closed” event following a citizenship ceremony.

Only award-winners and families were to be invited.

The approach appeared to contradict a 2023 council report which recommended showcasing the award winners to a “larger audience”.

Resident Gaye Guest was among several on social media who criticised “downgrading” the annual awards – traditionally open to all-comers in Dandenong Park up until 2023.

“Neglecting our Australian culture is not only damaging but demoralising,” she told Star Journal.

“No Australia Day breakfast and to be locked out of the awards makes a mockery of their importance as well.”

In a reversal days before the event, the council announced the general public could register to attend.

Chief executive Jacqui Weatherill said “we are opening this event to the community” due to “fantastic interest” in attending.

Attendance is limited, with spectators required to register beforehand on the council’s website.

Registrations close on 5pm Friday 24 January or when Springvale City Hall’s capacity is reached.

Last year’s invite-only Australia Day awards and citizenship ceremony last year was a “large success”, Weatherill said.

There were 330 attendees, a similar number to the Dandenong Park event held in 2023, she said.

“We are looking forward to another fantastic celebration for our Australia Day Awards and Citizenship Ceremony and encourage visitors to use public transport to travel to and from Springvale as Lunar New Year Festival celebrations are also underway.”

Combining the awards with a citizenship ceremony was recommended in a council report and endorsed by the council at a meeting on 14 August 2023.

The report didn’t mention closing the ceremony to the public, but instead expected the combined event would lead to award winners being “celebrated with a larger audience”.

“Award winners are celebrated with a larger audience allowing for greater exposure of the wonderful work they do and increasing their sense of value to the community,” it stated.

The combined event would also be more cost effective and efficient, and allow new citizens to witness the achievements of existing community members, the report argued.

At the same meeting, councillors rejected a proposed renaming of the awards from ‘Australia Day Awards’ to ‘Greater Dandenong Community Awards’.

The proposed retitling was to “assist in acknowledging Council’s commitment towards reconciliation”.

Some award winners had “shied away” from accepting the awards due to recognising 26 January as a day of mourning for First Nations communities, the report stated.

To register for the Australia Day event, go to greaterdandenong.vic.gov.au/events/greater-dandenong-australia-day-awards-and-citizenship-ceremony-2025

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…