ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Municipal monitors installed at Kingston

Municipal monitors installed at Kingston

Kingston Council is set to be under the watch of two Municipal Monitors – though the reason for the intervention appears to be a mystery.

The State Government announced on 22 August it was installing John Tanner AM and a yet-to-be-announced second person as monitors for the rest of 2025.

Local Government Minister Nick Staikos said the monitors would provide “good governance and support for council’s decision-making procedures”.

“Victorians expect their councils to maintain a high standard of processes and practices, and these monitors will help the council best serve the Kingston community.”

Staikos’s Bentleigh electorate is based in Kingston.

His cousin Steve Staikos was also a four-time Kingston mayor before being appointed as Labor state secretary in 2024.

In a statement, Kingston mayor Georgina Oxley said they “look forward to better understanding the Victorian Government’s concerns”.

“(We look forward to) working closely with the monitors to share our strong processes, governance oversight and transparent decision-making.

“Our focus remains on serving the people of Kingston and I will continue to lead with independence and integrity, with decision-making that is guided by what is best for our community.”

Kingston chief executive Peter Bean said councillors, the executive team and staff were “keen to assist however we can to support them in the role”.

“Council remains committed to delivering excellent services to our community, built on a foundation of good governance and strong customer service.”

Mr Tanner has previously chaired a panel of administrators appointed to Moira Shire Council and is currently a monitor at City of Hobsons Bay.

The monitors will serve from Monday 25 August until 31 December.

Digital Editions


  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He…

More News

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…