ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Cannons shot down in penalties

Cannons shot down in penalties

Casey’s season of development fell one win short of a fairytale premiership, with the Cannons going down to Yarra in penalties.

The senior men progressed to the Vic League 2 grand final from fourth position on the table and were the form side of the second half of the season.

David Noney got Casey on the board first, converting a breakaway play set up by the experienced Craig Moore midway through the second quarter.

But Yarra quickly responded from a short corner, with the scores levelled at halftime and neither side was able to break the deadlock in the second half.

After both teams went goalless in extra time, the match was decided in a penalty shootout.

While a heartbreaking way to lose, coach Steve Noney could see the silver-lining from a season of great progression.

“By no means am I shattered and I don’t think any of the team are either,” Noney said.

“For me, the positive out of the whole season from a men’s unit perspective was the growth and the overall club spirit which has increased this year.

“We played some of our best hockey in the back end so to be able to win through to the grand final from fourth after being relegated last year, you couldn’t hope for more.

“I think something we’re starting to realise is we have got depth and the juniors coming through who are making a good showing in seniors.

“From a club, we went out with a plan in place from a hockey development point of view and our gamestyle was tinkered with a little bit and we’ve got more of an understanding of the game.

“Our hockey brains have really developed; players aren’t doing things because the coach told them to do it; they’re doing it to achieve something specific.

“The positive part about it was that it wasn’t me telling them what to do, it was everyone providing input.”

The Cannons won just one game in the Vic League 1 competition last year and was relegated to Vic League 2 as a result, putting question marks on where the men’s unit sat.

To finish the home and away season with a 9-5-4 record, play in three finals, blood a slew of new players across all senior teams and compete in grand finals in both the firsts and thirds positions the Cannons well for another tilt in 2025.

“It gives us a bit of confidence that we’re on the right path going into next season.

“It gives us the belief we can do it and it shows us we still have some things to work on to get to the point of being promoted and increase the understanding of how we want to play in the men’s ones and roll that through the various grades.”

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades of reunion. The group, made-up…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…