ENDEAVOUR HILLS STAR JOURNAL
Home » Trains on track for election

Trains on track for election

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

LABOR has pledged to roll out 30 new metro trains and 20 V/Line carriages as part of an $800 million state election pitch.
During a tour of Bombardier’s Dandenong train factory on Wednesday, Opposition leader Daniel Andrews said that if elected his government would devote $350 million in its first budget to the program.
He said without such a commitment soon, Victorian-based train manufacturers such as Bombardier faced an uncertain future.
For each of the 250 workers employed at Bombardier there was another four flow-on jobs locally, Mr Andrews said.
“These are jobs worth fighting for.”
In a statement last week, the ALP encouraged companies to “start preparing their bids” for the rolling stock building tenders, which should include at least 50 per cent local content.
“In making orders for new rolling stock, Labor will preference bids that will employ the most Victorian workers,” the statement said.
Mr Andrews said the program, staged over four years, would be a balance between a “steady flow of work” and “what Victoria can pay for”.
“The industry has been crying out for a long-term rolling stock strategy to give the industry scale and certainty, and that’s what Labor will deliver.”
Stuart Inglis, operations and projects manager at Bombardier, said the company was looking for more projects after it finished building 22 three-car Adelaide trains in the middle of next year.
He said the company had yet to hear if a Chinese-led consortium – which will partner with Bombardier – had won a bid to supply 25 new trains for the Dandenong rail corridor.
It also wants the State Government to exercise an option for a further 100 Dandenong-built trams.
The project – so far comprising 50 Bombardier-built trams – has a supply-chain of 350 Australian and New Zealand businesses.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…